Top July Gardening Tips: Preparing Your Garden for Summer’s Peak
A garden is a living entity that needs year-round attention, but the month of July is particularly crucial. With the weather at its hottest and plants at their most active, there's plenty to do to keep your garden thriving. Whether you're an experienced gardener or a novice green thumb, these top tips for the garden in July will help you prepare for summer's peak.
Tip 1: Regularly Water Your Plants
In the heat of July, it's crucial to regularly water your garden. Early mornings and late evenings are the best times, as this minimises evaporation. Pay particular attention to container plants and newly planted species, which dry out faster. A good soaking a few times a week is better than a little sprinkle every day.
Tip 2: Keep Up with Weeding
Weeds compete with your plants for nutrients and water. In July, they grow rapidly, making it important to stay on top of weeding. Use a hoe on dry days to cut off weeds just below soil level.
Tip 3: Deadhead Flowering Plants
To prolong flowering into the autumn, regularly deadhead your plants. This stops them from using all their energy to produce seeds, encouraging more blooms instead.
Tips for Specific Garden Areas
- Keep sowing salads, radishes, and other quick-growing vegetables for a continuous harvest.
- Start harvesting early potatoes.
- Pinch out tomato side shoots and start feeding.
- Protect soft fruits with netting to keep the birds away.
- Start summer pruning of apple and pear trees once they've finished blooming.
- Thin out clusters of fruits to allow the remaining ones to grow larger.
- Regularly feed and water your flower beds.
- Deadhead bedding plants and repeat-flowering perennials.
- Stake tall or floppy plants to prevent wind damage.
- Mow your lawn regularly but adjust the mower to a higher setting in very dry periods.
- Water the lawn deeply once or twice a week, rather than little and often.
- If you have a newly-seeded lawn, water daily until it is well-established.
Keeping your garden healthy and vibrant in July requires consistent care and attention. By following these top tips for the garden in July, you'll be well-prepared for the peak of summer, ensuring your garden continues to flourish.
Whether you need advice on the right gardening tools, or want to explore our extensive range of plants and gardening products, the Garden Centre Guide is your one-stop-shop. Get everything you need for your July gardening tasks today, and transform your garden into a summer paradise.